The missing element is believed to be TGC, as the inn was owned by Thomas Gery Cullum at the time. This is from the wall surrounding the Tollgate Inn, Fornham Road, Bury St Edmunds
Photographed too late!

Wall Plaques of
Bury St Edmunds and surrounds


Picture Page 5, 1900 - 1973

The building on which a plaque is fixed is usually shown below it.
Click images to enlarge

South African War Memorial
Foyer of Suffolk Regimental Homes

Rebuilt by H W Farrow 1922
Henry Farrow was an ironmonger here for a short time. Later it became Noble's ironmongers.

Extension to Methodist School in Northgate Avenue, 1923

Suffolk Regimental Homes
Out Risbygate
Officially opened April 1904

H W Farrow 1922
Woolhall Street, Bury St Edmunds

The Methodist School became the East Anglian School for Girls. It is now a private home called Newman House, Northgate Avenue, Bury St Edmunds

Raymond Montague Burton, 1933

Stanley Howard Burton, 1933

Council Houses built by Apprentices in 1946

Montague Burton's Art Deco Tayloring Shop
Cornhill, Bury St Edmunds

Burton's shop between Boots and Smiths, 2007

Part of the post war building programme
9 and 11, Acacia Avenue, Mildenhall Estate

Council Houses built by Apprentices in 1948

GORB 1956
Great Ouse River Board 1956

Barber Greene's foundation stone
18th September 1961

Another pair of homes
Corner of Wordsworth Road
10 and 12, Acacia Avenue, Mildenhall Estate

Rebuilt lock on River Lark
At Fullers Mill, West Stow

St Edmundsbury House, Western Way
Formerly Barber Greene's European HQ
Seen here in August 2006

Homes refurbished in 1963
Foyer of Suffolk Regimental Homes

Borough Offices extension
Stone laid 14th February 1966

Beeton's Way official opening
15th January 1970

Suffolk Regimental Homes
Out Risbygate
Built 1903, improved 1963

Borough Offices extension
Lower Baxter Street

Beeton's Way Underpass
Seen here in August 2006

Commemorating what is now Culford School 1873-1973

Great War memorial to dead of St Edmunds Place, Bury St Edmunds.
This replacement memorial dates to 2008. The original 24 houses of St Edmunds Place were cleared in the 1970s.

Northgate Villa in Northgate Street

Location of Great War memorial to dead of St Edmunds Place, Bury St Edmunds, visible on right hand wall.
It remains in its original place once located facing down the now demolished St Edmunds Place. Today it is accessible from St Martins Street.

1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
[ Prev ]      [ Next ]
The next page includes more wall plaques
Other wall plaques can be seen around the town.

Go to Plaques homepage Page first Produced 2 April 2006, last updated 18th October, 2015 Go to Main Home Page