The missing element is believed to be TGC, as the inn was owned by Thomas Gery Cullum at the time. This is from the wall surrounding the Tollgate Inn, Fornham Road, Bury St Edmunds
Photographed too late!

Wall Plaques of
Bury St Edmunds and surrounds


Picture Page 3, 1840-1869

The building on which a plaque is fixed is usually shown below it.
Click images to enlarge

Steggles & Son Builders 1840

Baptist Chapel 1840
Out Westgate

National School of 1844
Little Welnetham

Bridge over River Lark
Eastgate Street, Bury St Edmunds

Now Chapel House
Out Westgate

Old School House
Little Welnetham

Edward Greene, 1845
Once the School Maltings
College Street

TGB 1848
Plaque on garden wall
Is this the T G Bullen of Bullen's Limekilns?

Thomas Gery Cullum 1851
Iron tie rods in the old maltings in Mildenhall Road

Once the School Maltings.
Plaque re-used on 2005 housing on the site

Garden wall in Mill Road (South)
Possibly relocated here

The old maltings in Mildenhall Road

Royal Insurance plaque
This told the Fire Brigade that they would get paid by the company. I believe that this fire mark was first used by the Royal c1845. The background should be green and the bird is a Liverpool Liver Bird.

J Rolfe 1868, left end of wall

J Rolfe 1868, same wall, right hand end

Coral's shop in Abbeygate Street

Wall in Cattle Market Car Park until 2007

Same Wall, right hand end

Maynewater Square built in 1868 by Edward Greene for his employees

Plaque in foyer of the Corn Exchange in Bury St Edmunds. Started 1861 and opened in 1862.

Plaque on the Bunbury Arms commemorating Sir Henry Bunbury.
H E B 1844 .

Maynewater Square in Maynewater Lane

The Corn Exchange in Bury St Edmunds.

The Bunbury Arms at Great Barton.

1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
[ Prev ]      [ Next ]
The next page includes more wall plaques
Other wall plaques can be seen around the town.

Go to Plaques homepage Produced 19 July 2006 Go to Main Home Page