Return to Main Home Page
Schedule of
Additions, Updates and Corrections
to this Local History.

The latest amendments are shown at the top of the page, oldest at the bottom
Minor typo corrections, spelling and syntax changes are not recorded here

Date When Change made Description of Change or Addition to DetailsNotes
YEAR 2017
5th February 2017
Added details of 'On war service' badges to WWI Gallery page 08, with pictures.
22nd January 2017
Added details of USA entering WWI in 1917, and further details on U-Boat war in 1917. Added details to Chronicle for 2016 including Sybil Andrews Academy and Eastern Relief Road, new Zeppelins over Bury book and Nick Amor on the medieval Cloth Industry in Suffolk. Added some woollen cloth detail to 15th century.
YEAR 2016
28th December 2016
Corrected the details of the Spendlove family of clockmakers, as supplied by Trevor Spindler, (pers comm) and his article in Antiquarian Horology December, 2010. Grateful thanks to him.
23rd December 2016
Added detail to WWI gallery page 4 - information from Mrs B Clements, naming her mother and uncle in one of the pictures of Springfield Road. Also added link to Spanton-Jarman collection to Chronicle at 1975, retirement of Oswald Jarman.
20th December 2016
Added picture of the Spanton Family to 1870, from Spanton-Jarman collection.
18th December 2016
Added picture of Pawsey's shop in Hatter Street, decorated for the coronation of 1902. Thanks to Bob Pawsey for this picture.
23rd November 2016
Added Elmswell aerodrome and picture to 1917 in the Chronicle.
9th November 2016
Corrected some details around the Massachusetts Bay Colony, in the Chronicle for 1630. As pointed out by Mark Thompson - many thanks. Also added gasworks picture to Gas section.
19th September 2016
Added 6 pictures from Martyn Taylor's "A-Z Bury St Edmunds", just published. To 1960s 70s, 80s Chronicle, 1865 Chronicle, and the 1968 floods.
29th August 2016
Added to QGIS maps section, a link to Geography GIS website. Added Breckland map and Domesday Hundreds map to Maps and Plans section.
28th August 2016
Updated 2016, and 2015 with College Mews, and 1916 with Military Service Act poster. Amended Fornham Park to expand on Capability Brown's work.
14th August 2016
Updated 2016, and a few minor details about Boby's foundry demolition. Added gravel details to Fornham Park, and a garden side view of the Hall.
6th August 2016
Added roadmap 1786 to Fornham Park section, along with replacement Sales map 1843 and replaced monochrome maps with better digital pictures from SRO.
28th July 2016
Updated Chronicle 1964, and 3 pictures added to Fornham Park section.
26th July 2016
Updated Chronicle 1968 and 1970 to adjust the text on Beetons Way underpass with a picture from 'We love Bury St Edmunds'.
22nd July 2016
Updated Chronicle to UTF 8 encoding from ANSI because suddenly browsers are making GBP signs and other characters into ? signs in a black diamond. Up to Haverhill pages changed. Also changed Fornham Park map at 1820 to my own photograph for better definition. And extra commentary on Fornham maps.
17th July 2016
Updated Chronicle for 1983, 1972 and 1959 with pictures from 'We love Bury St Edmunds' contributors.
15th July 2016
Updated Chronicle for 1945, 1950 and 1952 with details of land purchased from Fornham Park estate for council housing at the Mildenhall and Howard estates. Also added wheeled bin details to 2016, 2004, 1995, 1986.
10th July 2016
Add details from 1950 Sales brochure, including map of Fornham Park estate at the time. Other additions and corrections made to Fornham Park details. Also added 'Quick Links' to top and foot of page for Fornham Park.
3rd July 2016
Add detail from 1882 25 inch map of Fornham Park.
30th June 2016
Adding maps from Record Office of 1769 and 1788 - Fornham Park and Fornham St Genevieve estate.
24th-26th June 2016
Adding more details and pictures to section on Fornham Park and Fornham St Genevieve estate.
20th June 2016
Adding more details to section on Fornham Park and Fornham St Genevieve estate. Updated River Lark with negotiations in 1693.
16th June 2016
Began adding a new section on Fornham Park and Fornham St Genevieve estate.
7th June 2016
Added stalagmite ring in the Bruniquel Cave to 176,000 BP, with picture.
5th May 2016
Added new picture story of the life of Alexander Cooke, a railwayman at Bury St Edmunds from 1892 to 1932.
28th April 2016
Added new picture story of the life and demolition of the last gasholder in Bury St Edmunds. Also found under Gas section.
24th April 2016
Added High Lodge Training Camp 1928. Also updated 2014 and 2016 for Breaking New Ground.
17th April 2016
Added Boby Brothers coal advert to Boby section from Martyn Taylor's collection. Also Kings Road windmill to 1913 Chronicle, and Young Roots SFB Autopsy project to West Stow Anglo Saxon Village section.
10th April 2016
Added a Richard Rayment longcase clock to the C18th century clockmakers list.
6th April 2016
Added pieces from newspaper clippings to Boby and Cornish sections. Also added Oswald Jarman pics and details to Chronicle C20th.
2nd April 2016
Added lantern clocks to the C18th century clockmakers for William and Mark Hawkins, John Rowning of Newmarket, and a Richard Rayment miniature lantern clock.
28th March 2016
Added picture of Northgate Foundry to section on Boby's Engineering 1900.
27th March 2016
Added picture of Robert Debenham clock from Long Melford to clockmakers section.
24th March 2016
Added picture of boating at Fornham Park to 1914.
20th March 2016
Added new office picture to story of Robert Boby. Added two more pictures to the Story of Nurse Dawson in WWI. Added details to George Cornish article.
19th March 2016
Added the story of Nurse Dawson at Ampton Hall to WWI picture gallery.
18th March 2016
Added Rose Mead's Athenaeum Kitchen to 1933 in the Chronicle. Added gasworks picture 1970 to the Gas section, and ported gasholder demolition from Chronicle to Gas History. Added details from Beverley Burroughs to 1930s firemen page. Updated Monastic Homepage to include the post reformation history of the Abbey Gardens and menagerie. Added market day picture to 1953 Chronicle. Added to Flood pages pictures from Facebook contributors.
15th March 2016
Added Garboldisham macehead to 3,200 BC in the Chronicle, as it has been radiocarbon dated.
9th March 2016
Updated Chronicle 1986 with a picture of Risbygate Street in that year.
23rd February 2016
Updated Chronicle 2016 and 900 BC for discovery of a Bronze Age wheel at Must Farm, near Whittlesey.
20th February 2016
Added details to Boby's and Cornish & Lloyds. Also Chronicle for Rougham in 1914, and Madame de Genlis in 1792 and note about Louis Philippe's plaque.
15th January 2016
Added details of Must Farm logboats and Must Farm roundhouse to late Bronze Age details.
11th January 2016
Added my map of the Hundreds of Suffolk in mid 19th century to Map section.
3rd January 2016
Added Napoleon Aprile clock from Sudbury to 19th century clockmakers. Thanks to Philip Snowden for the information.
YEAR 2015
24th December 2015
Amended WWI gallery page 8 to include Boby Munitions workers picture and add Dorothy Goulding details to women ambulance driver picture.
23rd December 2015
Added details of John Bean's book on Wickhambrook to 1995, "Ten Miles from Anywhere". With pictures and a carrier added to 1928.
19th December 2015
Added three pictures supplied by Gerald Brown to Robert Boby history and ported the details over to the Chronicle up to 1943. Added 'Bury Memories' to 2015.
16th December 2015
Took Robert Boby history and ported some details over to the Chronicle up to 2000. Added gasholder demolition to 2015.
15th December 2015
Modified the text of 19th century Robert Boby history, and ported some details over to the Chronicle up to 1900.
14th December 2015
Added the article on Robert Boby which was taken from the Bury and Norwich Post of March 11th 1884, and subsequently reproduced in the 1887 Jubilee History of Bury St Edmunds.
13th December 2015
Added further details about Robert Boby Engineering from press cuttings at the WS Record Office. Streets File Box 'Robert Boby Way.' Also pictures.
11th December 2015
Added details about Robert Boby Engineering from press cuttings at the WS Record Office. Streets File Box 'Robert Boby Way.'
5th December 2015
Added details from Gerald Brown about air crashes in 1938 and 1939. Also his scan of a postcard of the 1916 Zeppelin funeral outside St Mary's church - added to WWI gallery page 4b
3rd November 2015
Added notes from Dr Francis Young's talk to the Bury Past and Present Society on 2nd November. It covers Catholicism in Bury from 1640 to 1767.
2nd November 2015
Added to Electricity Supply the details of Colonel Knights, Borough Electrical Engineer 1926, and 1939. Also added St Edmunds Place plaque to 1919. Also added details of the National Register taken in 1939 to produce ID cards.
31st October 2015
Added to Chronicle 1912 a picture of Welnetham Railway station, home of the Rake Factory. Also added to 2008 the replacement of the war memorial at St Edmunds Place, Bury.
19th October 2015
Added story of the St Edmunds Place war memorial and building of new St Edmunds Place. Added to Chronicle 1976 and Wall Plaques and WWI gallery
14th October 2015
Added 17 extra tutorials and examples to the QGIS homepage to accompany the SIAH article on QGIS and OS OpenData already loaded. Preparing these has taken the best part of two months.
14th September 2015
Updated the Domesday Section/Hundreds in the Liberty to include QGIS maps of the various Hundreds within the Liberty.
8th September 2015
Updated the 18th century clockmakers to include Daniel Ray, and his superb tavern clock for sale at Finchingfield Antiques. 9th September added a mantel clock by William Ray, his son. Thanks to Phil Snowden for the information.
7th September 2015
Updated the Chronicle for Rake Factory closure in 1990.
30th August 2015
Updated the Chronicle for 2015 with blue plaque on Denny's shop.
18th August 2015
Updated the Chronicle for 2015 with various development proposals, the Wolf Trail, and for 2014, the Barons Trail of bollards.
15th August 2015
Added new section to main homepage entitled "Guide to DIY mapping using QGIS", with a QGIS homepage and SIAH article on same topic.
Added family details to William Ray of Sudbury to C18 clockmakers. Also updated the 19th century section for William and David Ray, being grandsons of Wm Ray of Sudbury. Thanks to Nicola P for the information.
13th August 2015
Added clock by Thomas Gardiner of Sudbury to C18 clockmakers. Thanks to Philip Snowden for the tip.
18th July 2015
Added Borough Offices foundation stone to 1966 and Hawstead Place Moot Hall to 1910. Plus a few other details from cuttings etc.
8th July 2015
Amended bradmere.htm in Domesday Section, together with maps of Blackbourne Hundred in 1086 and 1850, and Bradmere in 1086, but this time I have included Rushford in Bradmere. Previously omitted in error, and Bradmere is now coloured yellow. Added MW 1789 (Mathias Wright) plaque on the Brewery to Chronicle for 1789, and to page 1 of the Wallplaques Section.
7th June 2015
Added bradmere.htm to Domesday Section, together with maps of Blackbourne Hundred in 1086 and 1850, and Bradmere in 1086. Also added hundreds.htm to Domesday section, to show the Hundreds as described by Anderson at the time of Domesday.
28th May 2015
Added picture of souvenir of wrecked Lancaster to 1945, Feb 2nd at Hengrave.
20th May 2015
Added map of East Anglian topography showing areas of peat and alluvium, which must have been wetlands or marsh or meres in the past.
17th May 2015
Added to section on George Cornish Ironworks an advert from 1867. Amended some railway text for Chronicle 1959-60 suggested by GB.
7th April 2015
Added to Chronicle for 1871 poster regarding abolition of Bury Fair. Also 1900 Relief of Mafeking poster and 1901, funeral of Queen Victoria poster. Added three pictures of Whitmore's Timber Yard, 1900, 1929, and 1958, taken from their website.
4th April 2015
Added to Chronicle for 1914 picture of Cullum's dinner for the 5th and 6th Suffolks. Added to 1953, 1959, and 1960, railway pictures from Gerald Brown, supplied by www.transporttreasury.co.uk. Added Thor missile picture from "Roaring Lions and Gasbags", article by Brian Milner to 1959. Added picture of Stowmarket cordite factory to WW1 Gallery and to 1915 Chronicle. Also picture of Stowmarket explosion in 1871. Plus appropriate text additions.
30th March 2015
Added to Chronicle for 17th century:- picture of Moyse's Hall (1626), the Pest Houses (1665), and Fire of London area plan, (1666). Added College Square Plaque to Chronicle, 1909. Modified the texts accompanying all pictures. Also updated the Chronicle for 2015, and also Wall Plaques page 07, with pictures and text of the Holocaust Memorial Garden.
29th March 2015
Added to Clock and Watch section, a tavern clock by William Ray of Sudbury, dated George III (1760-1820). Information and picture from Bonham's Auction House.
28th March 2015
Added to Clock and Watch section, a wallclock by William Ray of Sudbury, made 1750/1760. Information and picture supplied by my correspondent Mr PS of London.
23rd March 2015
Added to Chronicle details of various charities including Frenze's Spittle Houses on Risbygate Street, demolished in 1909. Picture of shell production at Spartan Engine Company of Brandon added to the Report of the Munitions Committee in the Great War. Also fire brigade picture added to Chronicle 1901.
12th March 2015
Added details of the Fornham St Martin A134 bypass to the Chronicle for 1992. Also a taxation survey and details for 1341, using SIAH online resouces: SIAH Volume 20, part 2, (1920), by REvd W A Wickham. Also details of the 1665 survey of Ickworth from the same source:- Proceedings of SIAH, volume XXXIX part 1, (1997), Mary Hesse .
24th February 2015
Added Lackford double lock pictures to River Lark landmarks page. Also updated Lark landmark pages from alt= to title=.
18th February 2015
Added to Chronicle for 1865 - G Hills' Plan of the Abbey from his 1865 work on the Antiquities of Bury. Sourced by courtesy of Richard Summers. Amended 1214 to a slightly earlier date for the Barons Meeting at Bury.
3rd February 2015
Added Cornish and Lloyds catalogue to the section on Trades and Industry. Added Bobys 1953 advert to Boby Story page.
28th January 2015
Added details of the Thetford WW1 airfield at Snarehill into 1912 and 1915, and as a Q site in WW2 at 1941.
22nd January 2015
Added RAF Honington 'At Home' 1958 Programme to Picture Story Page. Updated RAF History/Honington page with the same, and also Chronicle for 1958.
17th January 2015
Added Short Report of the East Anglian Munitions Committee 1914-1918 to Great War Gallery. Updated Robert Boby page with the same, and also Chronicle for 1915.
12th January 2015
Added relics from Hawstead air crash, September 1943. Added Little Willie and 'Comfortable at BSE' to WWI Gallery. Started 2015 with news announcement of Mildenhall American airbase closure.
YEAR 2014
24th December 2014
Added Dureall family picture to WWI gallery. Also to WWI gallery, a pottery landship Creme de Menthe, and Land Army Women at Ampton. In the Chronicle - changed picture to Barton Hall fire in 1914, and a plane trip at Bury in 1920.
15th December 2014
Added Martyn Taylor's Secret BSE book and Heritage Guides' new book Roaring Lions and Gasbags to Chronicle 2014. Also West Suffolk website and A11 opening. Added Rougham Camp as a Polish transit camp in Chronicle for 1946/47, and illustrations. Also a list of local Polish Displaced Persons Camps in the East from 1947 onwards from Zosia Biegus's website. Also added details of Hobart's Funnies at Livermere Camp in Chronicle for 1943, from BBC People's War website.
28th November 2014
Added new Picture page 2a in WWI Gallery section solely for the Elveden Explosives Area. Added new pictures from SRO, Swinton, and Roger Pugh's book on the EEA. Added Roger Pugh's "Most Secret Place on Earth" to Chronicle 2014.
24th October 2014
Added new sunken featured building to West Stow history section, and to Chronicle for 2014.
23rd October 2014
Added a detailed pdf of the BID for Bury area, showing all shops and businesses involved at 2009. Pdf from ourburystedmunds.com (BID = Business Improvement District)
3rd October 2014
Added 3 new pictures to Robert Boby history page, all newspaper clippings for evidence. Produced first draft of new page for George Cornish and the Cornish and Lloyds Iron and Brass Foundry, with some newspaper clippings and census information.
19th September 2014
Added 9 new pictures to Robert Boby history page. Mostly newspaper clippings for evidence, and some extra text regarding Josiah Le Butt's breakaway iron works.
15th September 2014
Added the contents of the 1820 Improvement Act to the Picture Stories section. Also a link from the Chronicle for 1820 to it. Amended 1815 note on St Andrews Castle to 'no link with Boby family in 1815.'
10th September 2014
Added census and newspaper details about C E Munford, Josiah Le Butt, T C Bridgman, and others, to section on Robert Boby's Ironworks. Added Crystal Palace to 1978. Amended wallplaques page 4 for BB ie Boby brothers. Small changes in What to See section.
3rd September 2014
Added Wilkin's Guide and Directory to Bury St Edmunds for 1867, in the Picture Story Section. (Shown by courtesy of the Martyn Taylor collection.)
31st August 2014
Added Robert Boby advertising feature from the Town Guide of 1906 to Trade and Industry section. (Shown by courtesy of the Martyn Taylor collection.) Also some further details of Robert and George Boby's lives from a Find my Past website subscription.
24th August 2014
Added Robert Boby Ephemera pages to Trade and Industry section. Letters and catalogues shown by courtesy of the Martyn Taylor collection.
22nd August 2014
Added details to Robert Boby page concerning his DOB and the death of his first wife and details of his only son. Taken from his obituary in the Bury and Norwich Post 7th December, 1886.
21st August 2014
Added pictures and text of Holy Trinity church tower at Long Melford. The lightning strike of 1710, the brick tower of 1725 (with Fred Watson photo from EBay), and the neo-Gothic rebuild of 1903.
7th August 2014
Added pictures and text of St John's church in 1866 from a W Spanton CDV just acquired on EBay.
22nd July 2014
Added important update to the section on the Ixworth/Stanton Anglo-Saxon pectoral cross discovered in the 19th century. Likely to have been a female attribute rather than that of a male bishop.
4th July 2014
Added pictures and text of the History of Robert Boby Engineering to Trade and Industry Homepage.
3rd July 2014
Added picture and text of Holme II woodhenge to 2014 and 2050BC.
21st June 2014
Added picture of Boby's Ironworks in WWI to WWI Gallery.
17th June 2014
Added picture of 1950s depot and a map to the Electricity section.
10th June 2014
Added second picture of the bombed shops from 1915 in Bury, showing the same scene with subtle extra detail, sufficient to indentify it. This was supplied by Gerald Brown. Thus able to move the picture from 1916 to correct 1915 page in WWI gallery. Special thanks to GB for this.
8th June 2014
Added details of the River House, (White House) West Stow from Audrey Morley.
3rd June 2014
Added new Electricity Section to the Trade and Industry homepage.
30th May 2014
Added pictures of 1912 army manoeuvres to Chronicle.
28th May 2014
Added pictures of Bury's Fire Brigade in the 1930s supplied by Grenville Wilson to the Picture Stories section.
25th May 2014
Added pictures from Cathedral Exhibition 800 years celebration at Magna Carta Section. Also skateboarders and women's cycle tour at 2014.
15th May 2014
Added details of Magna Carta 800 years celebration at Magna Carta Section, inc PDF from Greene and Greene.
4th May 2014
Added details of Magna Carta 800 years celebration, 2014.
28th April 2014
Added further details to mysterious explosion at Electric Plant in August 1943.
15th April 2014
Corrected detail of Madam Mayor, Eva Greene, 1927, and added some more details supplied by Martyn Taylor.
12th April 2014
Added to 2014 :- Norman Scarfe's obituary, A14 Cycle Bridge.
17th March 2014
Added two picture cards from Sudbury to WWI pages. Minor change of Penny to Savings Bank, 1892.
12th February 2014
Added pictures and text on 2014 flooding. Also story of 850,000 year old footprints at Happisburgh.
3rd February 2014
Added pictures and text to Doggerland in prehistory section. Added better picture for Fornham cursus.
30th January 2014
Updated 2014 details with Priors Inn picture, and 2013 with Victory ground plans picture.
23rd January 2014
Added new picture of Priors Inn to 1933, and included corrections to the named architect from Basil Oliver to Wm Mitchell, as pointed out by Dr Bettley. Also closure of Victory Ground pavilion, 2013.
17th January 2014
Added new pictures to Gallery of WW1 of Woodbridge and Felixstowe Zeppelin attacks. Also bomber attack on Ipswich, 1917. Also added war memorials at Haverhill, Denston, Culford and Elveden. Also heavy battery at Cavenham, Hengrave wounded. Updated Chronicle with these details where appropriate, and links to Gallery.
13th January 2014
Added new picture of Yarmouth Zeppelin attack in 1915. Revamped page 5 of Gallery WWI to accomodate it. Also changed layout of page 4a with one new picture of Mrs Wise's shop and replaced two others for better scans.
7th January 2014
Replaced better picture of Causeway Bridge crash in 1890. Added Fornham All Saints memorial to Gallery WWI. New map of St Edmunds brewery 1890, tweaked Braddock's sale 1868.
YEAR 2013
20th December 2013
Updated year 2007 with Eye dig, and 1970 with Maynewater Lane widening. Updated the WWI Picture Gallery with maps extracted from Zeppelins over Bury by Gareth Jenkins. Divided Bury raids into two pages, 1915 and 1916 for clarity.
10th December 2013
Updated year 2013 with new Bury books and pictures of red kite etc. Also added some Archaeology Service pictures to Bronze Age, Iron Age and Anglo-Saxons. Thetford ware item at 880AD.
8th December 2013
Updated year 2013 with sculptures on roundabouts, tidal surge, etc. Also added West Stow reunion, and cutbacks.
3rd December 2013
Added rationing to WWI Chronicle, plus a few other tweaks there. Replaced blurred C18 tokens.
24th November 2013
Added the World War I Picture Gallery, together with the Soldiers' Visitor Book from the Abbey Ruins. Accessed via the Picture Stories Page. This has all taken the last couple of months to research and prepare. Added a shortcut from Main Home Page
16th November 2013
Added the Whistler Window at Pakenham Vicarage to 1944.
12th November 2013
Amended the links on the Virtual Abbey Page. Old ones no longer working.
23rd October 2013
Added the original Grant of Arms to Bury Borough Council in 1606.
23rd September 2013
Added picture to Pathe News in 1915 and updated their URL to current. Added and corrected some details to Zeppelin raids in 1915 and 1916. New details on Pakenham Loom 1953 etc. Updated alt= to title= down to Trade and Industry section.
24th August 2013
Added details of 40th reunion of the West Stow Environmental Archaeology Group, and added updates to West Stow chronology to 2013. Changed alt= to title= for Haverhill, Anglo-Saxons and Domesday pages. More to do yet.
17th August 2013
Added details of several newspaper reports from Pip Wright's website from 1820 to 1914, mostly expanding incidents already reported.
16th August 2013
Added details of the Betty Burroughs execution, 1766, from the book "Death Recorded" by Pip Wright, 2006. Other newspaper reports from his website to 1820. Poole's balloon flight picture.
15th August 2013
Added correction from Martyn Taylor and expanded details of the Sarah Lloyd execution, 1800, and a picture of Capel Lofft.
29th July 2013
Added details of silk industry at Sudbury and Haverhill. Humphries, 1972 and 2004. Vanners 1871 and 1874. Free Trade treaty 1860. New pic of Old Shire Hall by Spanton, 1878. Corrections on Oakes in 1839 from Martyn Taylor.
22nd July 2013
Added details of bomb damage, and photo at Hawstead in 1940, and army at Hawstead Hall, 1944. Added Geophysical survey details to Abbey Gardens, and Chronicle 2008.
18th July 2013
Added six colour photographs of the floods in Eastgate Street, BSE, September, 1968, supplied by Grenville Wilson.
15th July 2013
Added Robert Clarke of Coney Weston, inventor of tinwhistle in 1843.
9th July 2013
Updated some of the Abbey Gardens page text into the Chronicle, where necessary, from 1946 up to 2009.
8th July 2013
SIAH details 1869, with seal. Details of burnt buildings 1327. Also updated some of the Abbey Gardens page text into the Chronicle, where necessary, up to 1945.
29th June 2013
Added the full 16 minute video of the Virtual medieval town and Abbey to YouTube, with a link from the Virtual Abbey page. Also added the Virtual Abbey to the Chronicle at 1513.
25th June 2013
Added 7 minute video of the Virtual Abbey to YouTube, with a link from the VR main page. Also added D C Douglas book of 1932 and chocolate tin for the Coronation, 1911. Baldwins Feudal Book in 1079. Abbey gardens aero photo and 1971 guidebook.
18th June 2013
Added to Abbey gardens text more details on Abbey Gardens, plus maps, plus info from AG Management Plan, 2009.
13th June 2013
Another alt= changed to title= in Chronicle text 2001.htm. Amend Abbey gardens text, plus Lenny map 1823. Add 1999 Mary Basham's postcard book details.
8th June 2013
Another alt= changed to title= in Chronicle text 1900-1945. Add details of Queen Anne at Newmarket, and picture 1706. Amend Abbey gardens text, plus Payne map 1834. Add Menagerie story by David Albon to Municipal Topics.
2nd June 2013
Another alt= changed to title= in Chronicle text 1946-2000. Also expand poll tax protest 1990, with gas holder picture. Add missing picture to 1831 from 5 days ago - sorry!
30th May 2013
Following the change from Internet Explorer 9 to IE 10, it has become necessary to change HTML code of "alt=" to "title=" to mantain available access to thumbnail description showing with a mouse-over. Therefore alt= changed to title= in Chronicle text up to 1538. Much still to do elsewhere.
29th May 2013
Small change to R Lark pics page 3 for TGC. Add details of Rotten Boroughs to 1831. Also alt= changed to title= in 1813-1899 page.
28th May 2013
More details of royalty at Newmarket from John Sutton's lecture. Charles II, fire at Newmarket, meets John Donne. William and Mary at Newmarket, appearance of Tregonwell Frampton 1675. Frampton picture at 1727. Also alt= changed to title= in 1700-1812 page.
21st May 2013
More details of James I at Newmarket from John Sutton's lecture, and Charles I and II, with Lely horse picture of c1675. Also alt= changed to title= in 1539-1699 page.
18th May 2013
Details of James I at Newmarket from John Sutton's lecture, and picture 1603. Rewritten churchyard closure 1854 and 1855. Small amendment on Woolhall Street. Rehoboth chapel expanded 1840. Otter Trust details 1999. Details of the early work of the Improvement Commissioners from Brian Coley.
18th April 2013
Added picture of settling hut at MEAL, 2012. Also Whiting Street coronation decorations in 1911, decorated engine 1911. Closure of Ship, 1906. Star inn yard picture 1923.
11th April 2013
Added details of Paving Commissioners, 1809 and 1811. New details of Athenaeum Services Club, 1939 and 1945, and foundation stone of All Saints in 1962.
2nd April 2013
Added details and pic for Cavenham Park, 1767. Lusitania sinking 1915. Better gasworks picture 1963. Greene King promo film, 1929.
23rd March 2013
Small addition to 1945 details for Denny Brothers. Added detail and picture for W Montgomery cycle shop in 1898. Spire of All Saints church in 1962. Remove some incomplete files on BSE origin.
22nd February 2013
Added details and pictures for W Montgomery sidecars invented in Brentgovel Street - 1892, 1903, 1904, 1905, 1911. Also purchase of Gedding Hall in 1968, and details.
18th February 2013
Added picture of Unity houses at Fornham 1947. Made two way cross referencing links from Watertower 1952, Sewage works and Extension, 1906 Guidebook, Floods 1968, Office extension 1967, last deadstock 2003, Opening A45 and Orttewell roads, Gas 1934 all to return to appropriate locations in the Chronicle.
16th February 2013
Added pictures of Queens Close prefabs, 1946 and Electric generating boilers at 1900, with detail on Lancashire boilers. Details of Queens Window in 1881 expanded.
14th February 2013
Added pictures of Flempton Mill 1906 from G Brown to Watermills. Added link to 1608 from Market Charter. Added 'Glossary' to River Lark Intro header. Stanton Groop, 1965 and St Andrews Street dig, 1963.
10th February 2013
Added and corrected some workhouse details, and added plan 1884.
6th February 2013
Actioned C19 corrections and added details from MT's email and one from Cllr DN. Added 3 pictures to accompany same.
5th February 2013
Added details on Unity homes and other rural PRC dwellings post war, Clare secondary school, and Stone Hall. Also new page of Ogilby maps from 1675, and updated Chronicle for 1675 to match.
3rd February 2013
Uploaded to the internet all remaining corrections to broken links due to capital letters issue.
2nd February 2013
Uploaded to the internet some missing picture links from River Lark and Watermills.
18th January 2013
Uploaded to the internet all the amendments from 29th November 2012 to 16th January, listed below. Some missing pictures and dead links remain.
16th January 2013
Added pics Icklingham Hall (1907), Council Capital Programme 1945 and staffing 1946. Also Orttewell Bridge details 2002.
(The website version is still as when loaded from a CD-Rom, with amendments included only up to 29th November 2012, and some missing pictures due to capital letters issue).
5th January 2013
Added details of Denny Brothers move into Kempson Way and new corporate logo, from Barry Denny via email. Also 1913 film of Bury St Edmunds at E Anglian Film Archive, brought to notice by M Taylor. Amended the introduction which had been previously interrupted by computer crashes, finally cured by a system restore.
(The website version is still as when loaded from a CD-Rom, with amendments included only up to 29th November 2012, and some missing pictures due to capital letters issue).
1st January 2013
Added details of A11 dualling and improvements from Barton Mills to Thetford to year 2013.
(The website version is still as when loaded from a CD-Rom, with amendments included only up to 29th November 2012, and some missing pictures due to capital letters issue).
YEAR 2012
30th December 2012
Added housing and slum clearance details to 1952 from Town Plan. Tweaked home page to 'Local history in West Suffolk', 'St Edmundsbury Chronicle', 'Appendices' et al. Denny's logo 2000 added. Added St Andrews Street encroachment shown in 1950 Town Plan.
(The website version is still as when loaded from a CD-Rom, with amendments included only up to 29th November 2012, and some missing pictures due to capital letters issue).
28th December 2012
Went through post war council accounts to find dates of contracts on Mildenhall Estate to 1952. Added plan of estate and added details of start of Howard Estate.
(The website version is still as when loaded from a CD-Rom, with amendments included only up to 29th November 2012, and some missing pictures due to capital letters issue).
22nd December 2012
Added a few details from Frank Meeres 'History'.
(The website version is still as when loaded from a CD-Rom, with amendments included only up to 29th November 2012, and some missing pictures due to capital letters issue).
19th December 2012
Added details from Norman Scarfe's article in 1964 Town Guide.
(The website version is still as when loaded from a CD-Rom, with amendments included only up to 29th November 2012, and some missing pictures due to capital letters issue).
16th December 2012
Updated format for Domeday Book for Norwich and Ipswich. Deleted press releases from USAF Freedom page as links were missing. Updated Early Settlers with information about Gosnold living in Bury St Edmunds. Also link to 1596. Acknowledgements added to Introduction Page. Main page heading changed to 'A Local History in West Suffolk'. Added to description of 'Introduction' on the main homepage.
(The website version is still as when loaded from a CD-Rom, with amendments included only up to 29th November 2012, and some missing pictures due to capital letters issue).
12th December 2012
Website had to be reloaded to the internet because some large files were previously omitted. However, some links fail to work because of file names with incompatible cases or initial letters. EG Chronicle not chronicle. This was ignored on Windows but not by Linux servers. Version is still as at 29th November, and now some missing pictures due to capital letters issue.
11th December 2012
THIS WEBSITE BECAME LIVE ON THE INTERNET AS WWW.STEDMUNDSBURYCHRONICLE.CO.UK ON 11TH DECEMBER, 2012.
That version was loaded from a CD dated as at 29th November 2012, but find out later some files missing.
10th December 2012
Added some Haverhill updates and pictures. Added Super Sabre picture at 1962.
8th December 2012
Added Map of Bury St Edmunds town centre shops in 1994.
6th December 2012
Added BSE town arms 2006, Ash dieback, 2012. Horringer Court building 1972/3. 1933 Grand Jury, 1744 Westley church damage, 1836 note on architect at Westley. Gainsborough birthdate error corrected.
1st December 2012
Updates to Haverhill after 2002. Laser sculpture, Cineworld, Tesco and Vion's demise. Replaced breaks with paras in Haverhill C20.
29th November 2012
Pictures of Francis Simpson. Extra text on moving the cattle market in 1827-28. CD-Rom copy issued to Paul Marsden of Gaia Technology for test loading to internet.
18th November 2012
Added item on Lowestoft bombarded in April, 1916. Coenwulf coin found at Pakenham added to Anglo-Saxon coins section. Also unplastered kitchens 1946.
6th November 2012
Added a few pics and details to Denny Brothers. Flints in 1949. Whitmores traction engines 1934. Added vills to Growth of Bury section. Added Eric Fernie's plan of the abbey church, and the town layout.
25th September 2012
Added W Challis Diary to 1943 with details. Basil Brown's bike. BSE Curve details to 1870. New C17 token for Griffin Inn.
17th September 2012
Added new picture story page of Advice to US Armed Forces in UK, 1943. Also made links from Chronicle 1943 and from American Connections.
9th September 2012
Glemsford water tower, and Silk Bobbins pictures. Stephen Walters Silk factory. Gurteens drabbet smock picture, Caroline steam engine picture.
2nd September 2012
Added marmite pic to Denny Bros. Sabres at Shepherds Grove, Stanton. Few pictures of Lavenham, and details from Lavenham Industrial Town. Lots of Stour valley textile details from books and websites, inc Glemsford, Melford. A/S garnets. Earl of Oxford details. Silk, flax, coconut matting and horsehair weaving in South Suffolk. New draperies details. All done through August and end July. Some other Melford details from Long Melford- last 2000 years. Melford Riots 1885 more details.
26th July 2012
Added pics to Denny Bros. Abbo picture, my Northgate roundabout map old and new, st johns street in 1928, evacuees and Challis book of wartime diaries in 2012.
11th July 2012
Added pics to Denny Bros and more info. Dog track data from Martyn Taylor. Hawkedon helmet. Flempton blacksmith 1965. More on 1951 town plan.
28th June 2012
Added Denny Brothers section, with pictures, to Trades and Industry. Added 2012 Cupola fire, 1960 street map. Copy for Lionel at carving.
20th May 2012
Reorganised homepage so that Watermills were removed to heading of Trade and Industry. Trade and Industry moved up the list on main homepage. Royal show 1867 extra pics. Added this page of Amendments so users can track changes. Previously it was hidden on main homepage, so also reduces homepage loading time.
18th May 2012
Few notes extra. Copy for Roy Endersby.
11th May
Added Royal Show 1867 page to Picture stories. Boby and Cornish adverts from 1887.
6th May 2012
Added Industry and Trades section to main Homepage. Moved clocks and guns there. Also added link to Gas leaflet of 1934. Added new Gas works page.
2nd April, 2012
Update 1962 and 1972, the 1958 clock catalogue, election pic 1895, Barton mills X roads, 1927.
18th March.
Stuff on Feoffees accounts. Updated Pakenham water mill after Eddershaw. Original SEBC webpages. Trumpington cross. Copy made which I kept excludes BSE development.
1st March, 2012.
Some BFP items, few pictures from millenium publications. Elite mural from D Albon. Feb 2012 updates. Bury Stirs from SIAH vol 37 pt 3. Henhowe writ 1305. Icklingham WWI, Rougham hall, Giffords, Boy bishop mould. Brafields end.
1st February, 2012.
C17 tokens for Smith, Heasel, Wilkin. Banknotes 1817. Notes January 2012. Details on Mildenhall manor.Gershom Parkington's death. CD Copy made for Adrian and Daniel Place.
YEAR 2011
19th December, 2011
Added Diesel Spill, 2011, Copy for CJW without Bury development.
5th December, 2011.
Added Angel Corner leaflet to Picture Stories. Added maps etc to Moyse's Hall.
27th November
Guildhall and Troston church pics. Cathedral Library info. Sleigh steam lorry. Two pubs pics from Trevor Goodfellow. More 0n 2011. More Moyses pictures added, plus page 6.
5th September 2011.
Added extra maps to BSE Clues section. Needs more work to explain ideas.
4th September.
Added Gottfried's book and his BSE maps. Also Goodwins book of 1931, Gransdens of 1964. Beccles and Norwich tokens. Mildenhall map from SRS 54. Odd pics of Moyses today and hospital 1907.
8th August.
Added SRS Mildenhall Accounts book, 2011 and a picture for Elections page. Removed Origins of Bury from Nick's copy as unfinished. Added some wartime crashes from websites. Copy for Nick Amor of Gross and Co. 1 spare kept.
31st July.
Lynford quarry and Gough's cave. Bacon factory newsletter 1931. Added new General elections page. Tidied up some of clues to origins of BSE.
16th July, 2011.
Added pictures and data for Paleolithic from Stringer's Homo Britannicus and WWW. Red lady bone, pakefield flints, Swanscombe skull, Beeches pit details, warren Hill details, High Lodge details.
19th June, 2011.
Added Thetford museums. Added more Nick Ashton notes to paleolithic. Viking names map.
1st June, 2011.
Added Sturge Flints, Vale watch, added pictures to Moyses Hall exhibits section. Added Independent Museums links. Made Manor House section self contained.
14th May
Gave a copy to David Boulton. 1 spare copy kept.
9th May
Corrected missing link from 1832 boundary commission thumbnail, and also added it to Reports homepage.
8th May
added Stowmarket rural life watermill and Euston mill. Also pic of Rose Mead studio at 18a Crown St.
20th April 2011
- Added a few extra bits from Oakes diary. Also 5 new C18 tokens and 2 banknotes from Suffolk etc
11th April, 2011
- The story of BSE Golf Club added from the club's own history of 1999. Tidied up Happisburgh dig. Plague pics added etc
19th March, 2011
Added various pictures, Little Saxham hall, Sakings the falconer, 2 clare maps from Gladys Thornton.
1st February 2011
A few odd additions; sea eagle 1891, A45 bypass details, denston college update, reinstated Manor House.
YEAR 2010
18th December, 2010.
Added picture and page about the postmen of Bury in 1885.
4th December
John Fairclough's Roman Roads map, C21 books by Paine and Twinch, Conservation Area of 1970. Kirby thumbnail 1736.
23rd November,
added the geology maps of Bury St Edmunds, and lost Dunwich map. CML sale 2010. Also some details from Mark Bailey's lecture on Medieval towns.
10th November
added Lobel's banleuca map.
7th November.
Added Anselm's charter of 1130. Replaced Deck's token with a better condition coin.
1st November.
Added Samsung 1 terabyte Disk drive to computer. Added boer war chocolate, stradishall plates, WWI medals, W Ray watch 1861, Cavendish mill by Blundell. Then made 10 more copies for the Heritage Guides.
25th October.
Added Moyses pic, whole warren pic, and a few pictures for Chronicle, inc Apex, Broadband 40meg, livermere tornado, Sextons shop. Started on Guide Book for 1906 from Martyn Taylor's collection. Added 1906 guidebook map to maps page.
5th October.
More on Clues to early Bury. Also added text for Broadband 40 meg to 2010. Five copies for Farmers Club talk to Heritage Guides on 6th October.
29th September.
Copies for Abby Antrobus and Colin Pendleton of Suffolk Archaeology. Deleted "Clues" page as not ready.
27th September.
More on Dev of BSE. Add Lark Valley saxons and bsehub to Maps page.
20th September.
Add section on Clues to the Development of Bury St Edmunds.
29th August 2010
Added 1848 Warren map, Burrell on ice, Jacqueline Close details and pics, USA war of independence.
16th August.
Added my Sybil Andrews picture of Hatter Street. Also details of oldest house found at Star Carr, nr Scarborough and oldest toolmarks from Ethiopia.
9th August.
More detail from Jocelin of Brackland. Scurun's Well. 945 charter from Yates. More on Gurney bells. Added 17 pictures and text from Suffolk Sense of Place Suffolk Record Office. Also Jacqueline Close details. Added items from Lost Country Houses. Added Ps in place of BRs in Haverhill chronicle.
12th June.
Added to Maps section - Thetford, Ipswich, Norwich by 1086. Added some vills to Domesday sections. Added Thetford section and Enigma section to Domesday.
22nd April.
Added new Domesday Section on major landholders.
1st April.
Adding to the section on the Domesday Book following lecture by Lucy Marten on 13th March. Added 2010 Flora of Suffolk.
2010 3rd February.
Converted to Windows 7 in January 2010. Added Guide 1929, few Domesday village details, Blundell's Pines, 1935, Halliday's book, 2004, Lakenheath Fen details, and Ixworth petrol pumps.
YEAR 2009
18th December 2009.
Back from a week on the River Nile on December 2nd. Added postcards of Hitler from Major Anstee. Also extracts from Arthur Boreham on the Suffolk Regiment.
21st November
Added Jacob Kendall details, and Miles Mosse sermons 1595. Domesday still unfinished.
17th November.
Converted Domesday Book to have a homepage and three sections, instead of one big page.
16th November
Added Mildenhall Museum to Places to See Gazeteer. Also removed all prices from Gazeteer, as out of date. Moved Domesday into its own folder.
13th November.
Made a copy for Cllr Sarah Broughton, Chair of the West Stow ASVT.
12th November,
Royal engineers at Fornham October, 1914.
9th November.
Added a guide book for 1931, and moved the 1935 guide into 1936. Adverts for East Anglian and Culford school.
30th October
Added leaflet to 1964 Chronicle. Also added W S Spanton's BSE and some comments from it.
22nd October 2009.
Added leaflet "An Opportunity for Industry" 1964 to Picture Story Pages.
20th October.
Finished amending Intro to Anglo-Saxon coinage. Added bus station pic 1984.
17th October.
Snow 1908, BSE guidebook from 1951, a few coin updates to Saxon coins from Mark Blackburn, Railway Mission updates.
6th October, 2009.
Renamed Miscellaneous topics to Municipal topics. Removed Gunmakers to main home page. Renamed Monastic topics. Added timeline diagrams to West Stow history. (mesolithic, neolithic, ironage etc) Added The Chronicle heading to Main home page.
3rd October.
Added page on a comparison of anglo-saxon life to Romano-British life.
1st October, 2009.
Re wrote Who were the Anglo-saxons. Tidied up the West Stow pages, and added some of it to the Chronicle as seemed appropriate.
23rd September, 2009.
Added the section on Occupational Sequence at West Stow. More on West Stow history. Modified navigation on Historic visits to exclude too many cross references.
17th September.
New section about the West Stow Political Context. New order for topics on Saxon homepage. Updated W Stow history for the buildings on site each year.
14th September
Old section on West Stow buildings deleted to be replaced by my new version, after filling in a few holes. Updated West Stow history with better pictures.
10th September.
Substantially completed buildings at West Stow feature. 11th some tidying up of the buildings item.
7th September.
Finished Anglo-Saxon Centre pages. 8th outlined new West Stow Buildings picture pages and added pictures.
1st September 2009.
Added some photos taken at West Stow on 31st August 2009, added to West Stow Gallery and Saxon Centre. Removed medieval pics from gallery. By 5th Added more photos to Saxon Centre from 31st August visit. Small start on a Moyses gallery, but may never be activated.
29th August.
Revamped the Museum pages to have own homepage, accessed from main homepage list. Removed museums and red barn from Miscellaneous topics, and removed Moyse's Hall own homepage. Revamped main homepage into Exhibits and Evidence.
25th August.
Loaded more pictures from West Stow Archaeology Gallery. Also 28th August more pictures and another page.
20th August
Tidied up Moyse's hall files transferred from Manor House. Started a new West Stow Archaeology Picture Gallery in folder weststowgallery. Added info boards from dig of 2007 at West Stow. More pics for Saxon Centre Section.
17th August
Deleted the Around our towns and villages section. Merged the information in with What to See page. Moved Manor House Collections to Moyse's hall.
16th August
Tidied up Towns and Villages. Moved Archaeology from Moyses to West Stow.
13th August
Added Moyses Hall to list of Miscellaneous Topics. Sorted out missing Moyse's files.
10th August
Added new section called West Stow Anglo-Saxon Centre. To show some of the exhibits in the museum about life there.
5th August
Another new CD cover using graduated colour by Xara 5, and shadow added to main Chronicle Logo using Xara5.
26th July
Bury Development Plan 1951, L Redstone pic, SWT Redgrave Fen 1961. Corrected 1952 coronation to 1953. Made a CD for Sheila Green, previously John Osborne's widow. Also gave one to Gill Nunn at carving, with new cover.
11th July
Opening of West Stow Collections Study Centre. Scotchers shop, 1976AP. Made a CD for Dennis Strange.
8th July
Icklingham Mill by Blundell, Simpsons Flora and Lackford and Bradfield Reserves.
30th May
added details of Fornham Park as POW camp 186. 31st added Ticehurst's Birds and Mammals also mammals 2009.
24th May
Chernobyl plaque, and a few Gilstrap details of Fornham Park.
12th May
amended wall plaques to have its own home page. Added TGC plaque at Fornham all Saints.
7th May 2009
added maps of Liberty Hundreds and civil parishes, 9th May added Local Govt maps, 1872, 1894, 1934, 1974.
30th April
Added the aerial photos of West Stow, 1946, 1956, 1990, from Jess Tipper. From W Stow archives originally.
27th April
Amended Homepage to give a link from Who was St Edmund, to the Legend page. 28th added map of Blackbourne West Stow parish. Made a CD for Jess Tipper at Archaeology Unit.
26th April 2009
Removed the section on Tourists Introduction from main homepage to sub page of Places to Visit. Removed Where is St Eds to the icon on Home Page. Removed Home page heading 'Chronicle 2000 a full timeline of events'. Amended Location page to feature St EDs map.
16th April
Added Boy Bishop and jeton pics, 17th tidied up ice age a bit, 20th added Ipswich ware after 720AD at West Stow.
15th April
Added 3 wishes, hardy abbey, cycle path and various of my photos for 2009. Added West Stow updates to Chronicle as well.
11th April
New map page for all the Gauthiez maps. Added some abbey plans into the Chronicle.
8th April
Added more details for 2007, 8 and 9. Dallinghoo staters, BAA book, Gauthiez maps.
24th March, 2009
added entries for March 2009, including the Arc and new shopping map from Centros.
20th March
Added Basil Brown at West Stow pictures. Also Hodgsons gunshop, distance chart from 1600, and Hookes portrait by Beale. Issued CD to Michael Walters of Whiting Street.
25th February 2009
Added 1811 token pages.
22nd Feb
started RAF Stradishall history, and added a bit more history and pics to West Stow story.
2nd February
History of RAF Mildenhall to 1945.
27th January
RAF Mildenhall pics, William Kemp 1600, Henshalls 1959, Drurys at Hawstead.
YEAR 2008
5th December
West Stow map by S E West. Copy CD for Mary Anstee-Parry. 18th a few Lark pics and Gosnold plaque, add mybytham map.
23rd November
Few more plaques from Martyn Taylor walk, 1951, 1952, 1962 guides, few firestation pics. Copy to Stuart Ogdon.
1st November
Copies made for Chris Williams and Alan Baxter.
October 22nd
added 1832 Bury Boundary commissioners' report. Pics of Fullers Mill and Hoxne Brickyard for 1971.
October 2nd
added clock by D Ray and Eastgate Bridge pics from Ebay. Two Thetford maps from Alan Crosby.
September 11th
added Dury's map of Bury in 1764.
September 1st 2008
finished off watermills from the Lark Valley.
August 1
added Paterson's 1785 map, and a few watermills. By 31st August, many more mills from Antonia Gransden. A few Enclosure act details and Updated Frater Ambrosius issue in the Bury Bible.
July 28th
added Thomas Gainsborough details and pictures.
July 27th
added Bytham River updates from Shotton Project of Univ Brum, and Paul Heard's railway pics.
July 25th
Added oldest map etc from Lilian Redstone's Suffolk, 1930.
July 21st
added the Bury Gas Company Centenary booklet, courtesy of Martyn Taylor.
July 15th, 2008
Added Water Mills pages in skeleton, and plaques from Northgate Avenue, Newman House and no 8.
June 18th, 2008
added Edgar Powell on 1381 revolt, and Oman's details. Stuff from Phelps Suffolk 100 years ago.
June 10th 2008
added Sewage works extension opening, 1971.
June 7th 2008
added A45 bypass opening. June 8th added Orttewell Road opening. 9th June added Fornham Park sewage works.
May 29th
Now on a new computer with Vista and 4gb: CHILLBLAST FUSION JUGGERNAUT. Added Peasants Revolt 1381 details from John Ridgard's lecture at Sutton Hoo. Started on Mark Bailey's lecture again.
May 18th
Added Borough Offices extension official opening page.
April 10th 2008
added David Albon's Freestone and Collis clocks. Also his Kirby Map. April 17th made CD for D Albon and Anita Bishop (Calicchio). Later made copies for Michael Shinn and Michael Miles. NB David Albon's copy given to Martyn Taylor in July.
March 26th 2008
added River Lark commissioners of 1699, 1843, and Survey of 1969. Amended St Edmund description on Home page.
March 17th 2008
finished updating Chronicle from new material in River Lark section.
March 16th
updated Chronicle to 1890 from River Lark section. Added cross references to the Lark Acts.
March 13th
issued to Pamela Stephens.
March 10th
Added my pics to River Lark. Added Eastgate Street plaques to Wallplaques.
March 8th
Minor tidying up. Issued CD to Brian Coley of Blue Badge Guides.
March 7th 2008
Added the 1699 River Lark Act and the 1817 Amendment Act.
Feb 20th
Added a River Lark Maps Section. Added to it on 3rd March.
Feb 14th and 18th
Added stuff from Suffolk Record Office by D E Weston and others.
Feb 9th
Added bits to River Lark and Chronicle from 1855 White's Directory re Mildenhall Road Maltings etc.
Feb 7th
Added a bit to West Stow history. Added page 4 of Lark pictures. Issued to Paul at woodcarving after removing Lark from Misc Topics page and other tidying up.
Feb 4th 2008
Added River Lark to main homepage, more pics, more intro. 5th more pics.
Jan 31st 2008
Added Intro to River Lark, needs more work, and need more photos.
Jan 27th
added my photos from 1971 of the old clough and Mill Farm.
Jan 19th
Added a picture section to R Lark but no pictures. Finished loading Weston's Lark Navigation and his Amazing steam Venture.
Jan 10th 2008
More on the River Lark. Jan 16th up to 1893 from Lord Bristol's Amazing Steam Venture. Jan 16th version issued to Bob Jones, photographer of the River Lark.
Jan 7th 2008
More on the River Lark, including the Chorographer's note, 1603.
YEAR 2007
Dec 24th
Added a new Section on the River Lark Navigation.
Dec 18th
added banknotes from Moyse's Hall, and Carss bankruptcy 1797 note. Also Gransden and Eaglen's books.
Dec 10th
Added a banknote page, but it only has five notes. Dec 12th added Reinhild, updated Clare Bank details in 1819.
Dec 4th
Abbey hospitals pics. Dec 9th few more pics.
Dec 1st
More on Cyril Power and Sybil Andrews. Blundell. More pictures collected from SRO "A sense of place" website. Dec 3rd More SRO pics.
Nov 22nd
Started on Mark Bailey's Medieval Suffolk.
Nov 19th
Lackford cemetery, 21st Redgrave Hall.
Nov 18th
Added postcards, more on Culford, details from 1792 and 1830 Directories.
5th November
added gun pictures. 7th & 8th November added some Suffolk Record Office pictures from Sense of Place website. 10th added portraits and stuff on Cornwallis in 1781.
November 1st
Churchyard pictures, 2nd Foundry Terrace in St Johns St.
October 31st
started Gunmakers, and Gosnold pictures.
October 22nd
added some pre war pics of Wortham and ARP album. Tidied up clocks. 27th and 29th few extra pics, inc Fornham Hall.
October 20th
Took copy CD for Peter Webb and John Wilson. Added four saint's icons from Elenis icons.
October 17th
Mr John Wilson's Giffin Rayment Clock, early endowments of Bury, arc 2007, end of Ulfcytel talk loaded. 19th more on the arc for 2007.
October 10th
a couple of Bury and Clare banknotes. 11th, Ulfcytel continued to 1016.
October 8th, 9th
Some of Lucy's lecture on Ulfcytel loaded, with Ulfcetel's grant S1219, Danelaw map.
October 3rd
CD Copies made. One for Michael Lingwood. One for Mike O'Neil.
October 3rd
Street numbering in the 1830's and 1880s.
October 1st
Updated Clockmakers' alphabetical index. October 2nd added John Pace longcase clock, some GP details, and some Thurlow Champness details.
September 30th
finished adding clockmakers from Suffolk Clocks, and the Supplement. Added index to side of pages alphabetically.
September 28th
added more clockmakers from Suffolk Clocks.
September 19th
added pictures from Moyse's Hall and Webb's on clocks. Moved clocks on to Home Page from Miscellaneous Subjects.
September 10th
added details of Pace clocks, Parker clock, and reorganised the clock pages.
September 4th
added the 1827 Bury and its Environs, and picture of Combust church from that book.
August 14th
added a couple of clockmakers as per Peter Webb. On 15th added John Gudgeon's wallclock from Sue Bond's website.
August 13th
added details of Suffolk Green books, Camden Series and Arnold's Memorials.
August 10th
amended the list of monarchs to show the Danelaw period, etc. Few typos changed on clock section.
August 8th
Added details of M R James On the Abbey of St Edmund at Bury, 1895. On the 9th added details of Suffolk Records Society, 1957/58. Issued to Lucy Marten on 9th August.
August 2nd
Added two more Anglo-Saxon coins to fill out the A/S coin page.
July 31st
Added coin of Henry II Tealby type B1.
July 24th
Added Lingwood's fur factory, and my picture of Home Grown Chicory to 1935. Also added version 4 of virtual abbey with pngs instead of gifs. Issued a CD to Lawrie Lockey for his 80th birthday.
July 11th
changed Virtual Abbey picture, added it to 1998, added new jpegs, changed back to Fluxplayer. May change to pngs and version 4 later.
July 6th
changed Chronicle logo to png file with a transparent background.
July 3rd 2007
changed the Virtual Abbey model to abbey3.wrl, modified by Simon Place to actually work properly. Also added instructions for Cortona as first choice. I need to add new jpegs and change it again once all changes are finalised.
June 11th 2007
added Stowmarket church bombing etc, and will S1494.
June 6th
Added Wills S703 and S 1486.
May 24th
Added Aelfgar's will. Fixed two errors found by Apple Safari.
May 16th
Added Monastic Water Diagram. Then added shopping map of Bse and Theodred's will on 21st May.
May 15th
Added List of Excavations at the Abbey, from English Heritage.
May 14th
Added Virtual Reality download of Flux Player 2 Instructions. Issued two copies of this date to museum on June 12th, via Alex for Maggie/Alan Baxter, Keith Cunliffe.
May 10th
Added Brandon minster map, stone crosses from Ashfield and Kedington.
May 3-4th
Amended Manor House Museum pages to building only. Added Abbey plan from Pevsner, Mints from Eaglen and Bury's coins of 1048.
May 2nd
Added Abbey plans from Whittingham and Scarfe in new Abbey folder.
26th April
Finished Electio.
25th April 2007
began Electio Hugonis. Added list of Abbots. Added SIArch history.
17th April
Change Moyses to Moyse's where found as required by Chris Mycock. Finished Suffolk in Anglo Saxon Times by S Plunkett. Added Wilton Cross page.
6th April 2007
issued to Ellie. Front page made non responsive to repeated clicks. More details from Steven Plunkett's book.
25th March
added maps of c15 Bury, and Ixworth Cross Page. More on Brandon site.
8th March 2007
Added Charters Homepage, and on 9th added Saxon charters, inc S507, more on 13th. By 16th March, added the three charters of James I.
5th March 2007
Improved layout of Bible pages by adding width=100% in two places.
1st March 2007
Few details and pics added on Celts following Edward Martin's lecture at Sutton Hoo. Issued to Dr Sam Newton for advice.
22nd Feb 2007
Tidy up Architectural details after a few new pictures. Issued to Chris Mycock for evaluation for SEBC. He read it over Easter ie 6-9 April.
5th-9th Feb 2007
Updating from Suffolk in Anglo Saxon Times by S Plunkett.
28th Jan
Lake Avenue shops plaque, another in Acacia Avenue.
By 15th January, and 22 January
and 25th Jan, 2007, added more wall plaques to fill pages, some Anglo saxon details.
7th Jan 2007
Loaded Frank Riley Smith details.
6th Jan 2007.
Few more pics on architectural details. Changed chronicle logo from Chron2k1 at 569x201 to chron2kb at 700x153. Thinner version shows more screen menus.
YEAR 2006
21st December
Pics from Icklingham Papers added , inc map, and some SCC archaeology pics. 27th December reorganised Red Barn and Anglo Saxon pages to my format and merging topics. Added Anglo Saxon charters. 31st Dec updated Freedom page.
17th December
Matthew Parker and some pictures added . Issued to Alex at Moyses Hall.
4th December 2006
Updated for Lucy Marten's lecture on Cnut and the Waveney.
18th Nov 2006
Issued to Lucy Marten at Sutton Hoo.
17th Nov 2006
Thetford Treasure, Liberty map, Romans updated.
10th Nov 2006
Mildenhall & Hoxne treasures, 1575 map etc.
3rd Nov 2006
Stone age updated.
23rd October 2006
now includes Quick Links on Chronicle pages.
August 12th 2006
Now includes 1968 floods pictures.
10/07/06
Issued to David Daltrey on 10/07/06 including Arthur Young material.
25th June 2006
Issued to Allan Scott Davies on 25/06/06.
June 2006
Decide that it would be a good idea to keep a record of updates and who is issued with a copy of the CD_Rom.
June 2006.
Prior to this date, any updates were recorded by way of paper records based around logging the pictures scanned in and used.
Pre-June 2006
NO OLDER RECORDS OF AMENDMENTS EXIST ELECTRONICALLY.

Prepared for the St Edmundsbury local history project
by David Addy, May 2012


Last Updated as shown above Return to Main Home Page