Landmarks on the River Lark

The River Lark
Maps and Diagrams


Map Page 1

Click images to enlarge

Outline sketch of the main Fenland Rivers by David Weston.

The Fens in Roman times, showing a new Roman canal changing the location of the River Lark's junction with the Great Ouse.

The River Lark as shown on Christopher Saxton's Map of Suffolk. This dates from 1575 and was the first printed map of Suffolk.

J Bleau's map of the undrained Fens in 1648. The top of the map is West. North is to the right.

Lenny's map of 1823 showing the "L" shaped cut from the River Lark to Fornham Wharf.

Lenny's map of 1823 showing the River Lark from Bury St Edmunds to Mildenhall.

OS map dated 1837 showing the Fornham Wharf as a single cut. As yet this is unexplained. Unless the OS survey took place before Lenny's survey.

OS map of 1955 with minor revisions to 1964, still showing the derelict Cut from the River Lark to Fornham Wharf.

Gordon Fowler's map of Fenland Waterways. Originally drawn for the Royal Geographic Society in 1946, this has been redrawn in 1970 to include the Cut-Off Channel of 1961.

Gordon Fowler's map of Fenland Waterways enlarged to show the River Lark and the Ely section of the Great Ouse.

David Weston's Table of Distances along the River Lark, c1980

Historic Features of the Lark Valley. Taken from "The Lark Valley" by the Lark Valley Association.


This is the only River Lark map page at present

Go to River Lark homepage Produced 20th February 2008
Updated 12th March, 2008
Go to Main Home Page